We Don’t Settle, We Get Justice

Understanding the adjustment of status process

On Behalf of | May 22, 2023 | Immigration

As an eligible relative of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent relative (LPR), you have a couple of ways to become an LPR yourself. This status can help you join your family members in Georgia and pursue a new life in this country. If you are already in the United States with a visa, applying for an adjustment of immigration status from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the next step on the path to LPR status. If you are not yet in the country, your citizen or LPR relative starts the process by petitioning USCIS and providing information confirming your familial relationship.

For relatives already in the country

Having already entered the country lawfully as a visitor, you may ask USCIS to adjust your status by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Immediate relatives of the person who is a citizen or LPR may obtain permanent residency with this form, meaning that you get your Green Card. Other relatives, as long as they have an available and current visa number, could also receive USCIS approval with this form.

For relatives outside the country

As a citizen or LPR, you can start the immigration process for your relative by sending Form I-130 to USCIS. Known as the Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 allows you to explain your relationship with the eligible relative. You will provide evidence of your U.S. citizenship or LPR status. In addition to proving your status, you must submit your relative. To petition for a spouse, you would supply a marriage certificate and records of living together as married people. For your children or parents, you would send in the birth certificates.

The immigration agency will examine your petition and either approve or deny it. In the case of approval, your relative may then move forward with the paperwork to get a Green Card.